Rules and Regulations
The following rules apply to the 2015 Bharathanatyam competition. There will be no exceptions, and any violation will result in disqualification.
The competition is split into three (3) categories by age: 10–14, 15–19, and 20–25. Age will be calculated as of March 1.
All applicants will perform in a preliminary round on day one. Five (5) finalists from each category will be selected by the judges to perform during the grand finale on day two.
- The application form must be filled in completely with two (2) choices on what the applicant can perform for the preliminary round, and two (2) choices for the finals, if selected.
- The two items for the preliminary round must be under five (5) minutes long, and eight (8) minutes for the finals. If music is not cut to the appropriate length, the competition volunteer managing the music will fade out the song at the completion of the time.
- All items must showcase both nrittha and abhinaya.
- For the age groups 10–14, any item, except a varnam, may be presented for the preliminary round. At least one of the items for the finals must be a varnam (or a portion of a varnam).
- For the age group 15–19, any item, except a varnam, may be presented for the preliminary round. All of the items for the finals must be a varnam (or a portion of a varnam).
- For the age group 20–25, any item, except a varnam, may be presented for the preliminary round. All of the items for the finals must be a varnam (or a portion of a varnam).
- Applicants will be informed by March 21, 2015, which of the pieces listed on the application form they must perform for the preliminary round, as well as for the finals, if selected. Changes to this will not be permitted.
- The application fee is US $130. This fee is non-refundable.
- The application deadline is March 6, 2015.
- Participants are responsible for their own travel, accommodation, and other expenses while attending the competition and festival.
If you have any questions about the competition, please e-mail Radhika Balasubramaniam at (firstname.lastname@example.org).