This is a special category. The winner in this category:
- receives a tambura as a prize
- will perform in a concert during the next year's Festival (accompanists will be provided by the Aradhana Committee).
- will be featured on JayaTV's Margazhi Mahotsavam in December.
- will be featured in a concert during the Chennai December season under the banner of the Aradhana Committee.
- will receive a $1,000 award to help with travel expenses to India.
Please read these rules carefully before registering for the competition.
- The competition is an individual event. Groups will not be allowed to enter.
- Entrants must be of age 25 or less (as of March 1), and must have lived in North America for the last at least five years.
- All applicants must submit five (5) krithis on the application form.
- The competition is NOT restricted to the compositions of St. Thyagaraja. While listing the krithis of your preference, please state the raga, tala and composer of the songs in addition to the first few words of the sahitya.
- The judges will choose from the five krithis in your application. You may be asked to sing the krithi, alapana in its raga, niraval, kalpana swaram, or any combination of those. The judges will choose what you will perform on stage.
- The judges may also probe your knowledge of music theory, and may ask you to demonstrate various aspects of musical theory.
- You will be questioned by the judges for a period of time no more than twenty (20) minutes. They may ask you to stop before this time as well.
- The decision of the judges is final and binding.
- The application for registration and associated entry fee must be received by the deadline, March 26, 2017.
To enter, please proceed to the registration page.