Advanced Pallavi Competition
This category was inspired by the example of Prof. T.R. Subrahmanyam at the Madras Music Academy pallavi competition.
This is a special category. The winner of this competition will:
- receive a tambura as a prize
- be provided a 1-hour slot at next year's Festival, to perform a program that includes a pallavi.
Please read these rules carefully before registering for the competition.
- The competition is an individual event. Groups will not be allowed to enter.
- The competition is open only to vocal and melody instruments (violin, flute, veena, etc.)
- Entrants must be of age 25 or less (as of March 1), and must have lived in North America for the last at least five years.
- The ragas for this category are Kalyani, Kambodhi, Bhairavi, Dharmavathi, and Sahana.
- The talas are Adi and Kanda Thriputa.
- The nadais are thisram, chathusram, and kandam.
- The sahityam for the pallavi will be provided at the venue at 9:00am on the morning of the competition, along with a raga, tala, and nadai.
- When seated for the competition, the entrant must perform a Ragam-Thanam-Pallavi, with thrikaalam, based on the given choices.
- A strict time limit of fifteen (15) minutes will be imposed. A buzzer will signal the conclusion of the allotted time. The judges may also request the contestant to stop before the allotted time.
- The decision of the judges is final and binding.
- The application for registration and associated entry fee must be received by the deadline, March 26, 2017.
To enter, please proceed to the registration page.